Random Boxing Discussion

mex fighter

Couple of years ago, Alejandro Gonzalez, son of former champ Alejandro "cobrita" Gonzalez was murdered in a mexicsn cartel related incident.

Bad news for any fighter with name, unfortunately.

More sad news. Former world featherweight champion Ernesto Marcel passed away yesterday. Marcel began his pro career at the age of 18 and two of his four losses came while he was still a teenager, the other two losses were a non title fight to Leonel Hernandez and a stoppage loss to Roberto Duran early in both their careers. Marcel won the featherweight title on his second attempt after fighting to a draw with champion Kuniaki Shibata in his first attempt. Marcel won the title from Antonio Gomez and would go on to defend it four times and two of those defenses came against future champions Samuel Serrano and Alexis Arguello. Following the successful defense against Arguello, Marcel retired with a record of 40 wins, 4 losses and 2 draws. More importantly he stayed retired. Marcel was 72.

Ernesto Marcel. Gone On.

The Boxing world has taken some hits lately and sadly have taken another one. Hearing word that undefeated NABF Super Welterweight champion Travell Mazion has passed away at the age of 24 from the result of a car accident. Mazion had a record of 17-0 with 13 Ko's and captured the NABF title in his last fight with a first round knockout of Fernando Castenada in January.

Travell Mazion. Gone On.

Ringside

Retiree
The Boxing world has taken some hits lately and sadly have taken another one. Hearing word that undefeated NABF Super Welterweight champion Travell Mazion has passed away at the age of 24 from the result of a car accident. Mazion had a record of 17-0 with 13 Ko's and captured the NABF title in his last fight with a first round knockout of Fernando Castenada in January.

Travell Mazion. Gone On.
I read about the accident. Sad.

Nazim Richardson who trained Bernard Hopkins and Shane Mosley passed away this morning. Richardson also trained Steve Cunningham. Richardson "busted" Antonio Margarito for illegal handwraps in the dressing room prior to his fight with Mosley. No cause of death has been given but Richardson who suffered a stroke in 2007 had been in declining health over the last few years. Nazim Richardson was 56.

Nazim Richardson. Gone On.

Care to explain?

Sorry Mex I missed this. The fantastic four are linked because of the history they had between them. Tito and Oscar have 12 rounds between them. Can you compare those two to the other four? Certainly, but it's really no comparison in terms of rivalry and in my opinion neither Oscar or Toto are remembered for fighting each other. To be honest their fight is more forgettable than remembered.

Nazim Richardson who trained Bernard Hopkins and Shane Mosley passed away this morning. Richardson also trained Steve Cunningham. Richardson "busted" Antonio Margarito for illegal handwraps in the dressing room prior to his fight with Mosley. No cause of death has been given but Richardson who suffered a stroke in 2007 had been in declining health over the last few years. Nazim Richardson was 56.

Nazim Richardson. Gone On.

If its the guy im thinking of hes the guy with the beard and no mustache or some bullshit like that? Had the funny mooselamb hat?

I guess I meant in terms of greatness and also, could they hang with them in a fight. How would they fare?

Trinidad would have. He would have been a handful for all of them besides Hagler. Oscar? Nah.

In terms of greatness, same thing. Trinidad gets a look but Oscar lost to all of his contemporaries. Everybody talks about Oscar's "resume" but you have to defeat at least some of those names. Who had a better resume than Jerry Quarry?

Trinidad would have. He would have been a handful for all of them besides Hagler. Oscar? Nah.

In terms of greatness, same thing. Trinidad gets a look but Oscar lost to all of his contemporaries. Everybody talks about Oscar's "resume" but you have to defeat at least some of those names. Who had a better resume than Jerry Quarry?

Yeah Oscars boxing super star in terms of fan base but he let us down when it counted the most. Close fights with Trinidad, Mosley, Whittaker and Quartey really hurt his legacy. I dont even count the losses to Paquio and Mayweather later in his career. Or moving up to fight Hopkins. Oscar doesnt deserve to be up there. But let me ask you objectively who ranks higher in terms of greatness Oscar or Canelo?

The fight for the vacant WBO super bantamweight title between Stephen Fulton and Angelo Leo scheduled for Saturday night on Showtime has been scrapped because Fulton has tested positive for the Coronavirus. Leo will now face Tramaine Williams in the main event. Both Leo and Williams are 19-0 and the winner will face Fulton for the 122 pound title at a later date.

Pauline Malignaggi has been fired from Showtime for lack of a better term, racial insensitivity. Paulie maintains that when fighters such as Bernard Hopkins and Devin Haney say that they aren't going to lose to white fighters it proves that racism doesn't exist.

Say what you want about Paulie but hes one of the best boxing analyst. A lot of people are attacking Paulie for his personal views on social media. I think theres a fine line between pc and freedom of speech. Paulie never struck me as a racist and still doesnt. Whatever dumb things he said are probably being overblown. Ill miss his commentary but then again fuck showtime. A dying network.

I listened to the interview where Paulie said that and I didn't find it racist. It was incredibly stupid but Paulie has never been the sharpest tool in the shed and stupid people say stupid things. I won't miss his commentary, we live in the age where buffoonery sells and Paulie fit the description. He'll get another hustle.