Celebrity/Social Media Star Boxing Events

Rebel

Admin
Well that didn't take long. Snoop Dogg has announced he's going to be involved as a host/commentator in a new celebrity/youtuber fight club.

Others are surely to get involved in and outside of the ring since the money has so far proven to be lucrative with these types of events. Which of these comedic matchups would you like to see? Are any of the purists totally against these events?

mex fighter

Legend
It's nice to see old timers going at it. chavez vs arce have had 2 exhibition fights with headgear on and they've both been excellent. I'm all for that but when you start getting youtubers involved, it makes a mockery out of boxing. i guess thats the future, though.

Rebel

Admin
Well those Youtubers are what's making those events bigger. Some of them have bigger social media followings than the average American sports star. I don't mind those types of matches as long as they're more evenly matched.

mex fighter

Legend
They are OK as long as they don't market them as real boxing events. Kind of like a toughman contest is more like it.

The Tyson-Jones card was the perfect vehicle for celebrity/YouTuber fights. I wouldn't like to see them showing up on "regular" cards.

That's not what I meant. They have their place. When you have a "card" where Snoop Dogg is on commentary and lights up a blunt along with Wiz Khalifa and the promotion is sponsored by Weedmaps then that's the type of shit show they need to be on. Let them play Boxing.

Rebel

Admin
Well that didn't take long. An old ass Mayweather could still whoop Paul without breaking a sweat if he wants to, but I suspect he'll take it easy on him since it's an exhibition match. Nice money grab. I won't be paying for it either. :winky:

mex fighter

Legend
If he could carry a world class fighter like connor for 10 rounds, he can destroy this imposter in 1, but he won't.

"The show must go on."

If floyd actually tries, he shouldn't get hit, not even once.

Rebel

Admin
I honestly don’t blame him. He’s an entertainer at this point and he’s one of the few that can earn ridiculous paydays in these exhibition events. We would all probably do the same if we were in his shoes. Also, it’s not like this affects his legacy in the actual sport of boxing.

Nice to see you around Xplosive. I hope you and your family are safe and well during these unforeseen times.

Carlos

---
Honestly if i could make money like he does, for basically just showing up I would - it's not about boxing, but about a heap of cash.