Sugar Ray Leonard Interview

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Michael Matos, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Mike Tyson has a podcast/YouTube show called Hot Boxin and Ray Leonard was the guest and this goes very deep and gives a rare view into Ray's career and life and is one of if not the best interview I've ever seen or heard with a fighter and it brings out the best in Ray and Mike. In relation to this I'm going to go off on a bit of a rant here but Ray Leonard is one of the greatest fighters of all time and when I say greatest I mean he is on a very short list and short is short like 10 short. If you're making a list that's 25 or 50 or 100 long then you are missing the point. Being a great fighter and being one of the greatest fighters are two different things.

2. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Love 99.99% of everything srl except for his call on the chavez/Taylor fight. He was embarrassingly biased.

3. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Thanks Matos. I just started watching Mike Tyson's podcast watched the Tyson Fury interview. I'm checking out leonard. I agree he's one of the goats. Unlike Mayweather and Wilder he didn't cherry pick his opponents.

4. Remus

Remus Member

mike was wasted. you could tell SRL was feeling pretty uncomfortable in those moments where mike got super emotional.
    still a great podcast. adn i agree with you 100%, he is one of THE greatest as opposed to just being great.

5. Remus

Remus Member

on a side note, the dale E jnr and buffer episodes are also pretty cool.
    although i think dales interview with rogan was way better. that was a must listen to podcast.

6. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

A lot of what he said stood out for me but one thing he said was when he was talking about the Hagler fight and then he talked about being away from the ring and of course he had a forced retirement with his detached retina and he said when you come back it's difficult because you lose the ability to fight with conviction because you get civilized. You lose that I don't give a fuck part of what you are. That's deep. I'd like to get into that some more but it's so deep that right now I can't even formulate a thought process to articulate it.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Remus likes this.
  7. Remus

Remus Member

Tbh, the srl story would be better unpacked by someone like joe. I’d love to hear a skilled interviewer do this cos it’s such a great story.

8. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

I don't know if I would call Joe a skilled interviewer. There's a big difference between an entertaining interview and a well conducted and skilled interview. Joe is fun but sometimes he doesn't listen to people. Cuts people off, changes the subject. Had a guest a while back that was doing a charity for poor kids in Africa. The was starting to tell a really sad story about this poor kid and then Joe says with this uninterested look on his face. How long is this story gonna take? Cause we're running out of time. Lmao. He's such a fuckin meat head. Hes into his weed, crossbow hunting, dmt and jijitsu. He can talk about that all day. But if it's a worthy cause he don't want to hear it. I love that about him. Lol

9. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

I'm going to attempt to bring together two lines of thought here. The first is what Ray said about becoming civilized and what I said before that about being great and being one of THE Greatest. Being civilized in the ring can be interpreted in a lot of different ways but I think of two fighters who in some circles are regarded among the greatest fighters who ever lived and that is Manny Pacquiao and Lennox Lewis. In his fight against De La Hoya Freddiw Roach had to give Pacquiao a lecture between rounds and to tell him to stop easing up De La Hoya because Pacquiao held De La Hoya in such high esteem I believe the exact phrase was "Do Your Job". In the same vein Emanuel Steward had to get on Lennox Lewis to go out and finish off Mike Tyson. You would never have to tell a Duran, a Chavez or a Ray Leonard that.

On to the civilized part and I thought about two fighters, Deontay Wilder and Vitali Klitchko. Wilder was getting the shit punched out of him by Fury and even though it was obvious to just about everyone that his corner did the right thing to him it was totally out of place, same with Vitali Klitchko when his fight with Lennox Lewis was stopped because of a cut, a cut so severe that by numerous reports that when it was cleaned out you could see his eyeball and he couldn't fathom the reason the fight was stopped. That was what Ray Leonard was talking about, in the ring neither Wilder or Klitchko were civilized.

Remus likes this.
  10. Remus

Remus Member

that whole post was spot on. especially the examples you gave.

the only thing i would add would be LL didn't finish mike off earlier cos he was still wary and cautious more so than being civilized. like you said though. could you imagine having to ask mike or duran to go finish off a wounded fighter ? not a chance in hell.

and that applies to the greats from any sport, do you think you'd have to motivate jordan to be ruthless ? no. i recall many stories of senna in qualifying and races and his competitors saying it wasn't good enough for ayrton to just beat you, he wanted to grind you into dust.

Michael Matos likes this.