Spence-Garcia.....

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Valdosta, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Garcia did well to last 12 rounds. He got outboxed early and took an ass whipping later. Spence is a great fighter, and so is Mikey but there are weight classes for a reason.

Michael Matos likes this.
  2. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Ha I was right this would go the distance.

3. Valdosta

Spence wasn’t as agressive as normal. He was proving he could box. Later in the fight he put the heat on though.

4. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Was it because he respected Mikeys power? Mikey was too small this doesn't prove anything for Spence imo.

5. Valdosta

Proved he didn’t have to be all aggression to win. Mikey has no real power at 147 but he still has skills. Couldn’t tell tonight though.

6. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

First of all I give Errol Spence all credit for this victory he clearly won. But having said that Spence was regarded as the boogie man at 147 a guy so big, strong and with a knockout power that everyone (Thurman, Porter, Garcia) had ducked. After this fight it's evident that his power was clearly overrated...since he couldn't stop a little guy moving up two weight classes. He couldnt even score a single knock down. What you're saying to me doesn't make sense. Why would he need to prove he can box against a little guy like Garcia?? Why not end it early? After all this was a showcase fight in front of his home town fans who would have loved a knock out. He didn't stop Mikey because he's overrated. In terms of power and finishing abiliity. It's one thing to stop a broken Kell Broke who already had a fractured eye socket and basically quit because he couldn't see, the same with Lamont Peterson that also quit because those guys were never elite level. Mikey is elite level. The good big man beat a good little man. Again it proves nothing for Errol and raises more questions than answers about him.

El Profesor likes this.
  7. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

It's crazy some people were saying he was big enough to move up and take on Canelo at 160. Canelo would make him his bitch 160.

8. Valdosta

A lot of people thought Garcia would bother Spence early with his skills. He didn’t. Spence was outboxing him and proving he wasnt just a come forward brawler. You can say it don’t make sense all you want but he acknowledged that fact after the fight. He came forward and kicked Mikey’s ass more later. Mikey is a tough guy who didn’t want to get stopped, he was trying to make it 12 despite the pounding he took. Spence isn’t a 1 punch guy anyways, he’s a beat you down type guy for attrition KO’s

9. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

He said a lot of things...also said he would knock Mikey out if the opportunity presented it's self. I have learned a long time ago not take all the pre-fight bravado talk seriously. Believe me if Spence could've ended it early he would have. I don't think he intentionally boxed him for 12rds because he was trying to prove a point he could box lol. We can just agree to disagree on that but moving forward how well would Spence do against the real top WW like Crawford, Thurman and Porter? After this spineless performance I'm not sure.

10. Valdosta

Spineless performance? Did you even watch the fight?

11. Valdosta

The opportunity did not present itself. Mikey got his ass kicked but he still knows how to defend himself. Spence outboxed him and beat his ass easily. He boxed early but came forward later, spineless performance my ass.

12. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

I watched the replay not live. He was the bigger man, arguably the "bigger puncher", longer reach. He had all the advantages to stop Mikey yet he was content with boxing him for 12 rds? If Canelo had boxed Amir Khan for 12rds....even if he put on a boxing clinic what would his critics have said? I'm just not impressed.

13. Valdosta

Or if Canelo sat back and tried to box Floyd? Oh wait that actually happened. Canelo boxes a lot he’s probably not a good example to use. I mean he boxed and went 12 with Mathew Hatton.:rotfl:

14. Valdosta

As for Thurman he’s fought 1 time in 2 years and struggled with Josesito Lopez. Crawford is really good though. He and Spence are clearly the 2 best guys at 147 and need to fight.

15. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Oh man dont even get me started with floyd. Canelo was a young kid against arguably the greatest defensive fighter of his generation. Canelo recently said he would love a rematch but Floyd wants no part of him(yet hell fight some young jap kickboxer:rolleyes:). Not surprising since he's been a cherry picker his whole career. Catching fighters when they're too green(Canelo) or too old (De la Hoya, Pacquio, Mosley) at the end of their careers. Or too small like (Marquez) or weight drained like Corrales. Floyd is a shrewd businessman.

16. Valdosta

Oh look, excuses. Canelo was a champion at a division above Floyd with 42 fights. I don’t want to hear about how green he was. He fought (if you call it that), Floyd like a bitch. He was afraid to pressure the smaller guy. It’s bizarre how you bring Canelo into a thread that has nothing to do with him.

17. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

There's been talk of Spence moving up to fight Canelo. He's a big welter. Spence needs to stop picking on little guys. Now he's calling out old Paqcuio? He should move up and challenge guys his own size. The Charlos or Mungia are his size.

18. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Spence carried mikey the second half.

19. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Spence will destroy munguia.

20. Valdosta

Talk by who? Spence isn’t a Middleweight. He can fight at 147 or 154 but he’d be a small Middleweight. Moving up to many weights is stupid if you don’t have to. Fight where you do the best as long as you can make the weight. Spence came in At 146.25 he wasn’t even on the limit.