Pernell Whitaker

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Michael Matos, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker was killed last night when he was hit by a vehicle while crossing the street in Virginia Beach. Whitaker who won an Olympic gold medal in 1984 and went on to win world titles in four weight classes as a professional was regarded as one of the premier defensive fighters in his and any other generation. He was undisputed lightweight champion and went on to win belts at junior welterweight, welterweight and junior middleweight. Primarily a defensive fighter from the hit and not be hit school, Whitaker only scored 17 knockouts in his 40 victories but he wasn't afraid to abandon his slick style if the circumstances required it as evidenced by his knockout victory over Dioblys Hurtado.

His 45 fights included 4 losses and a draw but you would be hard pressed to find anyone who believes that Whitaker lost to Jose Luis Ramirez in his first title try and only earned a draw against Julio Cesar Chavez. His loss to Oscar De La Hoya was disputed as well with many believing Whitaker deserved the decision victory. Pernell Whitaker was 55.

Pernell Whitaker, Gone On.

2. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

not sure about the not afraid to abandon his slick style if the circumstances required it. they weren't required vs hurtado. he just thought he could hurt him so he went for it.

he should have done that vs chavez, Oscar, and especially tito in the last few rounds.

still though...RIP

3. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

You sure you have the right fight? Whitaker got knocked down twice and was deducted a point against Hurtado and was down on all three judges cards going into the 11th. 93-92, 94-92 and 96-91

4. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

he could afford to get offensive with hurtado...those other cats would have ended him.

5. El Profesor

El Profesor Member

Nevertheless...those repeated lefts that ended Hurtado are one of those boxing images that are recorded and often replayed in my mind.

6. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

yeah, that ko was a thing to behold. he hit hurtado with so many lefts, he was begging for a right.

7. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

If he was in his prime he would have bobbed and weaved his way out of the car he was that good. I didnt know why i had a sweet pea video on my youtube...i watched it not knowing he had died until now. Masterful defense amazing to watch.