Mikey Garcia vs. Sergey Lipinets

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Ringside, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Ringside

Ringside El Padrino aka Boxing Fanatics Legend aka The Godf

Just caught rerun of the fight on Showtime last night, A GREAT technical fight. One of the cleanest best technical fights I've seen in a while.
    Garcia won the IBF jr. Welterweight belt by U.D. with room to spare on all three cards but the score could have been closer and the fight way more exciting than the score suggests.
    Garcia put Lipinets down for the first time in his career with a perfect left hook counter to an uppercut thrown by Sergey.
    Lipinet had a very strong jab and got in some great counters to the head and body, but the smaller Garcia took them very well and was very careful not to get overexcited when Mikey effectively countered with a lot of power of his own through out the fight..
    Mikey looked exceptional against the ex kick boxer champ who will get even better with more experience. Great fight in San Antonio.
    Mikey wants to step back down from this 140 bout and unify three titles coming back up again until he gets to 147. Quite task but who knows?
    Anyone else catch the fight?

2. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

of course. great technicians in there but mikey is a surgeon. bigger version of finito...well, not quite there yet, but he's getting there.
    he did take some clean shots but he took them well.

3. "Bangin'" Dick Bravado

"Bangin'" Dick Bravado Half-breed , Half Steed

Welterweight division is shaping up to be the Grand Central Station of great fighters...

4. TIP

TIP Member

Great fight lot of skill, Sergey did extremely well considering his limited pro and amateur experience. Mikey had his hands full but showed great skill, very technical with good whiskers. TIP

5. "Bangin'" Dick Bravado

"Bangin'" Dick Bravado Half-breed , Half Steed

I caught some highlights... Mikey looked smooth from what I saw.

6. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

mikey really is the goods.

no bout a doubt it.

7. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

Yeah, I saw it.

I’m taking Mikey over the vastly overrated Lomanchenko...rated number one pound for pound my ass...

8. Ringside

Ringside El Padrino aka Boxing Fanatics Legend aka The Godf

The only time I saw Finito live was at the Garden in the Hopkins- Tito fight. I purposely focused in on his technique to see what made him special live. From my memory he always focused on the opponents(forgot his name) hand and feet. Very intensely. You could seeing him playing chess in his mind with what he saw in front of him. He also from my memory did not use much what they call lateral motion today with his feet. Instead he pivoted or what you may say would reset the angles with his feet to set up a different exposure of his opponent to him for offense and a different defense facing his opponent. Real technical and brilliant. It turned out to be Finitos last fight of his career as far as I know. He actually fought a lot like a traditional martial artist in his movement in some respects more than a boxer. He was incredible to watch. Mikey is too in his own special way. He is no stepchild for sure..lol..Grandpa Ringo

9. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

finito is the best i ever saw....i can't believe what i just sawwww!

10. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Zolani Petelo. That was Finito's last fight. Petelo was a southpaw and Finito put on a clinic on how to dismantle a southpaw with lead right. On the undercard was Danny Romero and I can't remember who he fought but he fought a southpaw as well and didn't have a clue on how to deal with him and lost and the difference between how Lopez and Romero dealt with southpaws was essentially a master class.

11. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Garcia vs Lipinets was an enjoyable fight to watch and I have to agree with Ringo it was a great technical fight and the difference was that Garcia was a little further along the technical curve than Lipinets.

12. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Vastly overrated? Lomachenko has a great resume for the amount of fights he has. Hell you can argue it’s better than Garcia’s and he has way more fights.

13. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

Overrated as being listed #1 pound for pound...overrated. No way Lomancheko should be number one.

14. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

I don’t have a problem with it but there’s probably 4 other guys who could be #1 as well. There’s nobody who’s really a clear cut number 1. There’s pretty much something you can pick apart about every current top fighter.

15. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Better than his bro?

16. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

his brother was good, mikey is special.

17. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

I’m taking Mikey over Lamachenko if they ever clash...

18. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Time just flies man. I remember talking boxing with my boss right before I went to Vegas to watch Diego Corrales. Back the Corrales was a young lion. And now when I look at Mikey's older brother hes got gray hair and looks pretty damn old it's hard to believe he fought Diego Corrales and put up a pretty good fight. Whenever I see coach Garcia it's a reminder that I'm old lol.

19. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Garcia was the champ at the time and was winning the fight.

after the first round when they felt it each other out, Roberto asked his dad (his trainer), "should I put pressure on him now?" the dad said, "yes, put more pressure on him".

in other words, Garcia wasn't afraid of corrales and actually wanted to school him. damn!