HOF worthy?

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by mex fighter, May 2, 2018.

1. Ringside

Ringside El Padrino aka Boxing Fanatics Legend aka The Godf

Agree.

2. Ringside

I know wright fizzled out the last fights he had after beating Quartey and fought a lot in Europe but off hand he beat Trinidad Mosely{ once} Ike and fought a number of other top fighters. He could marginally be included in the HOF. I would not object.

3. Ringside

I remember Quarry back then was a household name and very popular . Nationwide he was way better known in his day than Gatti .

4. TyrantT316

TyrantT316 Member

Gatti - no, he was great to watch and experience...but didn't have great wins...and he lost to some less than stellar opposition

Winky - tough, but no...he's one of those guys you have to try hard to make a case for and one could easily make a case against...His "break out" was beating Mosley twice and Trinidad. Tito was two years away before he beat up the punching bag Mayorga as expected. However, one could argue that this was a "rested" Tito who looked great vs Mayorga and had momentum. Also Winky wasn't a career Middleweight so one could argue that Tito wasn't up against some big Middleweight. Winky was naturally bigger, but his style was more of the problem. Winky beat Mosley at a time where Mosley wasn't in the best place of his career. Mosley had already lost to Forrest and picked up a controversial win vs Oscar where he looked bulky and slow at 154. Add to the fact that Wright's style was all wrong.

I give Winky credit for beating Mosley twice and beating Tito because I think it was more a product of his skill and style rather than size or both men being "past it". I wouldn't say Mosley was past it when they fought. Mosley just so happened to have had the mystique lost when he lost to Forrest twice and looked lackluster vs DLH in their rematch. He wasn't old though. Trinidad was 32, not an old man. He wasn't 25, but he wasn't 38 either. Winky's style was simply all wrong for two guys who were naturally smaller and relied on their aggression which made them easier to counter or stave off with a good jab from a slightly bigger and skilled man.

I would say Winky was a "i think so, yes" had he beaten Taylor for the MW title and maybe one other Jr Middleweight or Middleweight name. He still lost to Vargas, Hopkins, Paul Williams, Quillin and a draw with Taylor (a fight I thought Taylor edged out).

5. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

there should be a "no doubt" thought process with ALL hall of famers.

at least that's how I see it.

if there's doubt, then no.

6. TIP

TIP Member

Michael Matos likes this.
  7. TIP

TIP Member

Both Valdez and Dejesus should be in imo

Michael Matos likes this.