HOF worthy?

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by mex fighter, May 2, 2018.

1. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Are these worthy of being hall of famers? cuevas, palomino, gatti, little red lopez, winky, ken buchanan

2. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

No.....but having said that if Rocky is worthy that pretty much throws away any credibility the HOF once had. Now it's a popularity contest nothing more nothing less.

3. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

rocky is in there because of the attention that movie brought to boxing, not as an active member.

4. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Cuevas-Yes. Youngest welterweight champion in history, a dozen title defenses. Palomino-Yes. Gatti-Borderline. Defested quality opposition and lost to lesser fighters.Lopez-Yes. High quality opposition before he won title, lengthy title reign. Wright-Borderline. His two wins over Mosley and win over Trinidad in a one year period defined his career, before and after he never one the big one. Buchanan-Yes. The majority of his career was fought out of the eye of the american boxing press, multiple time British champion when that championship actually meant something.

5. TIP

TIP Member

Agree with MM's analysis. Buchanan was a slick boxer with a great chin, clamored for a rematch with Duran never got one and deserved one. Pipino was a vicious puncher knocking out everyone but Shields in his title defenses. Palomino had a number of defenses and personally I thought he beat Benitez in San Juan. little Red, huge puncher number of defenses. Gatti was a fun fighter to watch but not HOF worthy. Winky got Tito and Mosely past their primes an didn't do enough for HOF imo. Esteban DeJesus, Ernesto Marcel, Saoul Mamby, Rodrico Valdez and a few others deserve HOF recognition more so. TIP

6. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Meldrick Taylor deserving?

7. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

about cuevas....I think had he beaten one of the magnificent 5 (leonard, hearns, duran, hagler, benitez), he'd have a better argument. he was knocked out by the two he faced.

besides winning the title at 18, he didn't really have a signature win we all talk about to this day.

8. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

After reading this I've realized how little I give a fuck about boxing history. Wierd.

9. TIP

TIP Member

He didn't beat Duran or Hearns two super elites, But from the early part of 77 till Hearns in late 80 Cuevas destroyed some good contenders, Gray, Espada twice Weston, Ranzany and Shields were good fighters, Pipino dominated them. His power was feared back then. You could argue against his induction but imo more deserving than Gatti or Wright. I wish Meldrick Taylor would have been with different management instead of being with Duva who had Whitaker and Pazienza, neither of these guys fought each other and I think Meldrick could have beaten both of them fighting at 135 instead Duva wanted him at a different weight then Whitaker, TIP

10. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Cuevas probably had the hardest left hand in welterweight history. Hearns the hardest right hand in welterweight history.

hearns landed first.

11. "Bangin'" Dick Bravado

"Bangin'" Dick Bravado Half-breed , Half Steed

Palomino's moustache is definitely worthy.

Pipino Cuevas...Borderline
    Gatti, YES
    Little Red Lopez is a no-brainer
    Wink winky OUT
    I would vote Pat Buchanon in before Ken Buchanan

Hope that helps... but probably not....

TRUE story!!!

12. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

on gatti, why YES?

he was a good action fighter and is best known for his trilogy with micky ward, a b- fighter at most. he also lost against the best opponents he faced, and usually by KO.

don't get me wrong, I loved the guy. he was one of my favorites, but for me, the hof should be for the best of the best. he wasn't.

13. Ringside

Ringside El Padrino aka Boxing Fanatics Legend aka The Godf

Gatti clearly is not HOF. He does have the all time attendance record of any event at Boardwalk Hall including the Beatles and Bruce Springsteen(The Boss). Hard to believe but that is just how much fun he was to watch until his last sad beating by Gomez. Gatti fought until e had no more to give. I saw that and many of his fights here. Some kind of national recognition in the U.S. or Canada or even the mafia favorites hall of fame in Jersey City maybe, but too many scrappers along the way to make him any better than them. Got to say I loved his fights though.

14. "Bangin'" Dick Bravado

"Bangin'" Dick Bravado Half-breed , Half Steed

Jerry Quarry is in... Gatti did more to get in than him. As did Pipino...

15. Ringside

Ringside El Padrino aka Boxing Fanatics Legend aka The Godf

Quarry no question in my mind deserved it. As for Gatti even though I think not, he will get in anyway.
    BTW I meant Alfonso Gomez in Gatti' last fight not Lopez. Senior moment. The guy from the contender bashed him to shreds that night. Was very sad to me. Not long after a hooker slit Gattis throat and killed him in Brazil. Sad.

16. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Quarry is in the World Boxing Hall of Fame. I forgot about that.

17. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

Gatti over Cuevas? Fuck no, don't be silly, lol...

18. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Exactly.

19. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Quarry and Gatti both had nine losses in their career. Six of Quarry's losses came to world champions, Frazier twice, Ali twice, Norton and Jimmy Ellis and a draw and a win against Floyd Patterson. Six of Gatti's losses were to trash, Ivan Robinson twice, Ward, Gomez, Manfredy.

20. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

cuevas before gatti....but for me, neither of the two.