Garcia vs Thurman & GGG vs Jacobs

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Michael Matos, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

A couple of meaningful fights coming up in a couple of months, notice I said meaningful instead of interesting or good.

Keith Thurman or as Mex likes to call him Keef goes up against Danny Garcia on March 4th. Thurman who at one point went by the nickname of "One Time" because of his ability to knock out opponents after hitting them one time has become At No Time because 3 of his last 4 fights have gone the distance. Garcia hasn't exactly set the Boxing world on fire since his impressive victory of Lucas Matthysse over 3 years ago, he feasted on the overmatched Rod Salka and Sammy Vargas, struggled to or was gifted decision victories over Mauricio Herrera and Lamont Peterson and registered a decision victory over the shopworn Robert Guerrero and a stoppage over the equally shopworn Paulie Malignaggi. Picking a winner here is like choosing between The Devil and The Deep Blue Sea or a Rock and a Hard Place.

GGG looks to continue his dominance over the middleweight division when he goes up against WBA beltholder Danny Jacobs on March 18th. I like Danny Jacobs, can't fault anyone who rids the Boxing world of the joke that was Peter Quillin and he has put his career back together albeit slowly after getting flattened by Dimitry Pirog back in 2010 and following that he had to take time off after having surgery to remove a cancerous tumor. He's a good story and he's a good guy but since the defeat to Pirog he has fought against limited opposition but there is no denying that he has good power having won his last 12 by stoppage or kayo. I really don't see him trying to outbox Golovkin or coming up with some master plan to negate what Golovkin does which is walk through whatever his opponent is offering. If Jacobs doesn't have the firepower to stop the forward progress it's going to be a short night.

In case you missed and you might wish you do Erislandy Lara goes up against Yuri Foreman next weekend. Since considering retirement after back to losses against Miguel Cotto and Pawel Wolak and taking two years off Foreman has out together a six fight winning streak with those 6 fighters having 59 losses between them. That's about all you need to know.

2. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

as far as interesting or good fights coming, there are plenty. on jan 28, leo santa cruz rematches carl Frampton and mikey Garcia fights zlaticanin, the first champion ever from Montenegro. that show is put on by Richard schaeffer.

on the same night, bandido vargas takes on berchelt in palm desert, a fight that will probably be in the running for fight of the year and takashi miura takes on Miguel roman. Oscar de la thong put that show on on the same night as his now rival schaeffer. what an asshole, but still, all 4 fights will be good.

3. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Santa Cruz and Frampton should pick up from where they left off. Be interesting to see if their last fight took something out of one or both of them. I'm still not sold on Mikey Garcia, maybe this fight will change my mind somewhat if it doesn't prove I was right.

Vargas vs Berchelt & Miura vs Roman is a good action card. Unfortunately it might get lost in the shuffle which is a shame. Vargas-Salido was one of if not the fight of the year last year We get so many snoozefests and predictable outcome cards that to put two action cards on the same night is like shooting yourself in the foot. Both those cards are stand alone cards.

4. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

true dat!

5. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

they're supposed to be tying up canelo vs chavez jr for may at 165. then, the winner will get GGG.

I doubt any of those fights will happen.

6. TIP

TIP Member

I like Thurman, to much speedwith power for Garcia. GGG by ko although a punchers chance for Jacobs. If Canelo fights Chavez Jr. I' d take Canelo by dec.

TIP

7. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

I'm taking Garcia over overrated puncher Thurman...Keef is going to gas out, Garcia is going to outwork him...but deep inside, I want Keef to win by devastating KO...to shut up Garcia's piece of shit father.

Triple G, easy.

Canelo will beat the tar outta the bigger outta shape weed smoking bum, he will stop and retire Chavez Jr.

8. Playboy

Playboy Member

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  9. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Interesting breakdown of the Garcia vs Thurman fight. Whatever the outcome it should be an exciting fight. But I have to disagree with you about Thurmans ko power...Ive said this before the guy is a heavy puncher but hes not a one punch knock out artist like a Tommy Hearns or a Tito Trinidad(not too many are)despite his boxing moniker(one time). With that said I think Thurman can out hussle Garcia whos been fighting lesser quality opponents thanks to Al Haymond and that cherry picking might end up biting him in the ass against a top ww like Thurman.

10. TIP

TIP Member

I surprised there isn't more comments on Thurman/Garcia match tonight. Its on regular tv and one of the best match ups in boxing. I still like Thurman and by tko late rounds. TIP

11. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Yeah it's a really good fight where Thurman seems to have a few more advantages than Garcia does. IMO Garcia has to wear him down and get him late to win.

12. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

I'm hoping Thurman knocks out Garcia then Garcia's loudmouth dad comes at Thurman and takes one in the chops, too.

13. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

The fight was better on paper than in the ring. I thought Thurman gave away the last 2 rounds to make it 115-113 in a fairly dull fight. The styles didn't turn out to mesh well.

14. Rabid Kimba

Rabid Kimba Member

15. El Profesor

El Profesor Member

The problem is that Thurman had a chance to end the fight in style and secure his moniker as "One Time," but he instead chose to back peddle and bore the crowd. Even after the fight, he seems to have given up on his "One Time" meaning, now wanting it to be "and now 'Two-Time'"?!?!

He should have gone for the KO...ideally knocking an unconscious Garcia out of the ring into the arms of Angel Garcia. :coolio:

16. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

He tried to out-Oscar de la hoya Oscar de la hoya.

he almost accomplished it, too.

then in the press conference, his first statement was "Was that a great fight or what?"

ummm, no it wasn't. the funniest part was that angel Garcia, a rican of all people, was complaining about running.

17. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

I've said it before Thurman is a good puncher but he doesn't have one punch knockout power don't let his moniker fool you. He tried to jump on Garcia in rd 1 and 2 then he realized Garcia took his best punch and wasn't going anywhere and started boxing more. He's no Trinidad or Hearns when it comes to ko power. Its easy to say he should've tried to onetime Garcia but its not like he didnt try. Garcia has nothing to be ashamed of he hung in.there with a bigger and stronger puncher. I like Keith Thurman he comes to fight makes exciting fights and has a good attitude....cool dude.

18. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

speaking of Angel during the Judah vs Garcia press he made a funny ass comment about Zab Judahs corny baseball cap...."take off your mothafuckin Janet Jackson hat". It was hilarious.

19. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

[video=youtube_share;Cw4H3M4l0Hk]http://youtu.be/Cw4H3M4l0Hk[/video]

20. Ringside

Ringside El Padrino aka Boxing Fanatics Legend aka The Godf

I actually listened to this whole thing. I will say early on as Zab was rising when I saw him live at fights he sat in the bleachers at the Tropicana in AC for instance with the people. not at ringside.
    I spoke to him a while at a fight and got some pics of me and him and he is real nice as a person, at least to me he was. I got less interested as he aged but still see how nice Hopkins was in settling him down. De La Hoya was speechless.