Canelo vs Kovalev

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Michael Matos, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Valdosta

Valdosta Boxing Fanatics Moderator

The scorecards matter when they are consistently corrupt for 1 fighter and of course I saw the fight. You are the worst poster of those 10 years. You consistently get schooled so you just throw shit hoping that it sticks. You are pathetic. Boxing is 1 of my many strong points. You on the other hand are a pathetic troll.

2. Valdosta

Most people had Kovalev ahead he was clearly winning. Canelo looked awefull until he landed the KO blows to chinny Kovalev.

3. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

I get that you guys are angry and desperate to grasp at anything to discredit Canelo's 4th weight division title making him the 1# p4p undisputed in boxing. But no true boxing fan would push this fake news narrative that the fight was fixed. You can't even elaborate on why and how it was fixed. I love this forum always have but people like you bring the boxing iq in this place down by about 100 points. What joke the boxing section has become. If Canelo was Afro American Dennis would be sucking Canelo's cock with cocoa butter.

4. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Correction you and that whiney fat troll living in his mother's basement in Oakland CA are about tied for the worst posters in the last 10 years. At least you got the heart not to run away from a beating with your tail between your legs so Ill give you that.

5. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Kinich fuck man. What are you accomplishing?

6. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Exposing the truth bro. Funny how none you in here are talking about how boxing fans waited for 1 hour until UFC 244 ended to for dazn to show the main event. Boxing is a dead sport. You know its a bad day in Boxing when the biggest star in boxing plays second fiddle to UFC Masvidal vs Diaz. Arent you embarrassed as a boxing fan? Throw some dirt on top....boxing is dead. Nobody wants to address the pink elephant in the room.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2019/11...ged-main-event-long-delay-accommodate-ufc-244

DAZN faced potential problem from outside, and not even from within boxing. It wasn’t Top Rank’s show on ESPN, which ran a Miguel Berchelt win over Jason Sosa, and certainly not the all-but-ignored PBC on FS1 event featuring Brian Castano pounding out a win over Wale Omotoso in a 154-pound matchup.

It was UFC 244, featuring a highly-anticipated main event between Jorge Masvidal and Nate Diaz. The boxing/MMA fan crossover may not be as enormous as has sometimes been assumed, but it’s not nothing, either, and if you’re investing the sort of money into Canelo Alvarez that DAZN are — $365 million over 11 fights — you don’t want to risk not maximizing every single fight.

So DAZN made the controversial call to wait for UFC 244 to finish before sending Canelo and Kovalev to the ring.

Boxing’s core audience fucking hated this, and I’m among that core audience. I fucking hated it, the same as most of you probably did. It felt ridiculous and sort of insulting for the boxing fans — not to mention Alvarez and Kovalev — to sit around for an hour-and-a-half due to the mere existence of another sport running a show on the same night. If DAZN were that scared of going head-to-head with UFC 244, shouldn’t they have picked another date for Canelo’s return? It’s not like UFC 244 sprung up last week or something.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  7. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

If its dead, I'm glad it happened to freckles. Either that or dazn is fixing to get dana white over to dazn.

8. Remus

Remus Member

firstly props to canelo for landing the shots and getting the KO. you also have to give him props for what hes just achieved. its very rare indeed. the stoppage was totally warranted imo. most refs know when a fighter is in deep trouble and he was in trouble.

i didnt watch live but watched a replay. it was hard to stay engaged in a fight where the guy who was winning was winning on the back of a grinding listless offense based almost entirely on his massive height/ reach advantage. canelo looked lazy or bamboozled or disinterested or perhaps overly cautious at best. some would say, and probably rightly, that canelos gameplan from the get go was conserve energy, close the distance over time to land the shot needed and thats exactly what he did. dont care which it was in a very boring fight.

when looking at this fight you have to look at it in context. if the context you are looking at it with is that canelo is a pretty good figher whos achieved something very very difficult, then you should be very happy. if the context you are looking at it with is that canelo is a great fighter then you should be fairly unimpressed. he got the job done. but he got it done with no momentum or obvious rhythm in the fight.

Michael Matos likes this.
  9. Valdosta

You would be super impressed if you were a MMA fan who only is a fan of 1 boxer. With about 80% of your posts sucking off that 1 fighter.

Realistically Canelo knocked out an old guy who has been ko’ed by non punchers at 175. Álvarez and Ward can’t punch worth a shit. For it being his first fight at 175 it’s a good result but nothing earth shattering. It will be interesting to see where he goes for his next fight.

10. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Well no shit Sherlock tell us something we didn't know. Funny I dont recall you acting all bitchy when Roy Jones Jr. became a heavy weight champion by "beating" John Ruiz. So let me ask you what had Ruiz done to be called champion? Out point an over the hill Holyfield? His career highlight was getting starched by David Tua in 20 seconds. Don't remember any of you people trying to discredit Jones for beating at best an average belt holder. So if Jones was given credit for moving up to HW and beating a bum like Ruiz then Canelo moving up two weight classes to fight Kovalev should count for something right? Certianly Kovalev has to be better than Ruiz. People don't realize how hard it is to move up in weight and give up that much reach and height. Easy to talk shit while you're sitting on your couch. Obviously youve never stepped in the ring.

11. Remus

Remus Member

I dont recall anyone other than RJJ die hards giving roy too much credit for ruiz. least of all valdosta.
    like i said in my above post, its all about context.

TIP and Michael Matos like this.
  12. Valdosta

I will keep this short and simple. I hated Roy and never considered him a champ at heavyweight. While the size difference between Roy and Ruiz was bigger than last nights,Ruiz was trash.

Michael Matos likes this.
  13. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Roy found the weakest link.

Being Roy somehow found his way into this discussion I'll expand on that a little bit. Canelo needs to be very careful what he does next. Historically fighters who have gone up in weight and then came back down have an abysmal success rate and that abysmal success rate is equally spread between whether they won or lost when they went up in weight.

14. Remus

Remus Member

thats a good point michael. whos next is tough. i mean he aint gonna get to 160 any time soon i dont imagine so now what. hes a year too late for ward

15. Valdosta

He looked in real good shape,maybe he stays at 175. I don’t think that’s a great idea though. There are bigger threats than Kovalev at 175.

16. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

There's good fights at 168. He did beat Rocky Fielding for a title he could try to unify. Canelo should move down he looked uncomfortable giving up that much reach. Sort of pudgy/husky too.

17. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Also Canelo said he walks around 180 in between fights. So he just wasn't worried about Making weight so it's not like he put on 30 pounds of Muscle. He'll be fine either at 168 or 160.

18. Mark G

Mark G Member

I thought you were going to post Angela Aguilar singing the national anthem, that girl can sing.

19. Mark G

Mark G Member

Jose Luis Castillo won that fight. I never let it go unsaid that Mayweather is not really undefeated.

20. Mark G

Mark G Member

Agreed, good win and all, but he needs to get the FUCK out of 175 immediately!