Canelo vs Kovalev

Discussion in 'Boxing News and Discussion' started by Michael Matos, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

What's your predictions for the fight tonight? Hard to pick against Canelo, he's already won the fight on one of the judges cards, Dave Moretti is one of the judges and he has been an official in Canelo's last 4 fights and 8 of his last 9.

2. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

Oh, and of course, freckles included a weight clause, as usual. Fuck him and his blind fans.

3. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

And the excuses are already coming in. The Judges, the weight clause....:crying:Booowhoooo cry me a river. Mex you're acting like Canelo is fighting at a catch weight of 172 or something. They are just trying to make sure its a competitive fight and he's not fighting a cruiser/heavyweight on fight night. People forget about Gamanche vs Gatti. And lets not act like Canelo is the only one that has ever used stipulations to keep the fight fair. Mayweather made Canelo weigh in at a catch weight of 152 when they fought. Lets not act like this is not a dangerous fight for Canelo. Hes moving up 2 weight classes.

4. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

He is fighting for the lt. Heavyweight championship. As long as kova makes 175, the rest doesn't matter.

Why didn't freckles put a weight clause on himself when he fought a mere con?

5. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

In the 5 things you hate thread you railed about making weight now you're supporting the same thing you railed against. Canelo is only moving up one weight class. You don't find it odd that Canelo get's the same judge over and over again? .Here's the thing about the judges or judging as it pertains to Canelo. When Oscar was given the decision over Pernell Whitaker it was a PPV fight and the following weekend HBO did the replay and had Oscar in studio and Larry Merchant asked Oscar if he thought he won the fight and Oscar said he didn't know if he won the fight or not but being he is Boxing's most popular fighter and brings in the most money that he should always win a close decision.

Very seldom is the fighter involved in the fix., It's very rare. I don't have anything against Canelo but that doesn't mean I'm not going to say fuck that guy.

6. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Matos I respect your opinion. Weve been posting here for so long I wouldnt care if you say fuck my favorite fighter...we are all entitled to our opinion. I try to enjoy the spectacle and leave all the politics out of it. I like Canelo because he comes to fight. Has he clearly beaten all his opponents? No. Has he been in a few razor close fights where he got the nod but could have easily gone the other way? Hell yes. But like you... I dont hold that against canelo. His job is to show up, make weight and perform. Everybody wants to point fingers and say so and so is what's wrong with boxing. And thats not right either. Because boxing is a broken system and its not one single thing or one single boxer. Lets just enjoy the fights.

7. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

By the way I'm taking Canelo by stoppage. Kovalev just had a tough fight a couple of months ago and he's obviously on the downside. He'll go quietly.

8. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

What i thought was interesting tonight is that the main event will not be taking place at the regular time to avoid going head to head with the UFC main event (diaz vs masvidal). Cant think of the last time that happened. Guess Canelo is not as big of a star as we thought or Boxing is not as popular as the UFC. You decide.

9. mex fighter

mex fighter Meqcksykin

That is a super long ass break. Fuck dazn

10. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

Thank the UFC....lol

Its fine with me get to watch both events.

11. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

12. TIP

TIP Member

I picked Canelo for the same reason. TIP

13. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Kovalev controlled the first round with the jab. Cabell didn't do much. Kovalev round 10-9.

14. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Not much difference in the second. Canelo a bit more active but the Kovalev jab carried the round. 20-18 Kovalev.

15. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

We had a combination sighting in the third but for the most part it was another Kovalev jabfest. Cabell looked like he was trying to counter the jab but abandoned the strategy after a few attempts. 30-27 Kovalev.

16. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Kovalev showed a little variety in the fourth. Lead right here, lead hook there. Canelo seemed to find his stride in the last 30 seconds. Kovalev 40-36.

17. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Canelo's workrate is abysmal. Kovalev's much higher but Canelo's defense is sound. Fairly even round. 49-46 Kovalev.

18. Hawaiianpunch

Hawaiianpunch Banned

I thought Canelo took the 6th rd...might have hurt Kovalev to the body.

19. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Canelo came alive in the sixth, landed some good body shots and left hooks here and there and was enough to carry the round. 58-56 Kovalev.

20. Michael Matos

Michael Matos Member

Back to the jabfest in the 7th. Got to give the round to Kovalev. 68-65 Kovalev.