Garcia vs Thurman & GGG vs Jacobs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boxing Fanatics Hall of Famer Michael Matos's Avatar

Default Garcia vs Thurman & GGG vs Jacobs

A couple of meaningful fights coming up in a couple of months, notice I said meaningful instead of interesting or good.

Keith Thurman or as Mex likes to call him Keef goes up against Danny Garcia on March 4th. Thurman who at one point went by the nickname of "One Time" because of his ability to knock out opponents after hitting them one time has become At No Time because 3 of his last 4 fights have gone the distance. Garcia hasn't exactly set the Boxing world on fire since his impressive victory of Lucas Matthysse over 3 years ago, he feasted on the overmatched Rod Salka and Sammy Vargas, struggled to or was gifted decision victories over Mauricio Herrera and Lamont Peterson and registered a decision victory over the shopworn Robert Guerrero and a stoppage over the equally shopworn Paulie Malignaggi. Picking a winner here is like choosing between The Devil and The Deep Blue Sea or a Rock and a Hard Place.

GGG looks to continue his dominance over the middleweight division when he goes up against WBA beltholder Danny Jacobs on March 18th. I like Danny Jacobs, can't fault anyone who rids the Boxing world of the joke that was Peter Quillin and he has put his career back together albeit slowly after getting flattened by Dimitry Pirog back in 2010 and following that he had to take time off after having surgery to remove a cancerous tumor. He's a good story and he's a good guy but since the defeat to Pirog he has fought against limited opposition but there is no denying that he has good power having won his last 12 by stoppage or kayo. I really don't see him trying to outbox Golovkin or coming up with some master plan to negate what Golovkin does which is walk through whatever his opponent is offering. If Jacobs doesn't have the firepower to stop the forward progress it's going to be a short night.

In case you missed and you might wish you do Erislandy Lara goes up against Yuri Foreman next weekend. Since considering retirement after back to losses against Miguel Cotto and Pawel Wolak and taking two years off Foreman has out together a six fight winning streak with those 6 fighters having 59 losses between them. That's about all you need to know.
    In Dog Years I'm Dead.

as far as interesting or good fights coming, there are plenty. on jan 28, leo santa cruz rematches carl Frampton and mikey Garcia fights zlaticanin, the first champion ever from Montenegro. that show is put on by Richard schaeffer.

on the same night, bandido vargas takes on berchelt in palm desert, a fight that will probably be in the running for fight of the year and takashi miura takes on Miguel roman. Oscar de la thong put that show on on the same night as his now rival schaeffer. what an asshole, but still, all 4 fights will be good.
    "trump has already sewn the seeds of discontent."

-Drama Queen

Boxing Fanatics Hall of Famer Michael Matos's Avatar

Santa Cruz and Frampton should pick up from where they left off. Be interesting to see if their last fight took something out of one or both of them. I'm still not sold on Mikey Garcia, maybe this fight will change my mind somewhat if it doesn't prove I was right.

Vargas vs Berchelt & Miura vs Roman is a good action card. Unfortunately it might get lost in the shuffle which is a shame. Vargas-Salido was one of if not the fight of the year last year We get so many snoozefests and predictable outcome cards that to put two action cards on the same night is like shooting yourself in the foot. Both those cards are stand alone cards.
    In Dog Years I'm Dead.

true dat!

-Drama Queen

they're supposed to be tying up canelo vs chavez jr for may at 165. then, the winner will get GGG.

I doubt any of those fights will happen.

-Drama Queen

I like Thurman, to much speedwith power for Garcia. GGG by ko although a punchers chance for Jacobs. If Canelo fights Chavez Jr. I' d take Canelo by dec.

TIP

Boxing Fanatics Hall of Famer Rabid Kimba's Avatar

I'm taking Garcia over overrated puncher Thurman...Keef is going to gas out, Garcia is going to outwork him...but deep inside, I want Keef to win by devastating KO...to shut up Garcia's piece of shit father.

Triple G, easy.

Canelo will beat the tar outta the bigger outta shape weed smoking bum, he will stop and retire Chavez Jr.

Up, up, and awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

Boxing Fanatics Contender Playboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Kimba View Post
    I'm taking Garcia over overrated puncher Thurman...Keef is going to gas out, Garcia is going to outwork him...but deep inside, I want Keef to win by devastating KO...to shut up Garcia's piece of shit father.

Triple G, easy.

Canelo will beat the tar outta the bigger outta shape weed smoking bum, he will stop and retire Chavez Jr.
    Interesting you say that. I think it's Garcia who fades late in fights. Thurman is a huge puncher. He still stops and drops guys he's just not T.K.O.ing them as often as early on but isn't shopworn or anything so the ability is still there.
    While I would love Garcia to win & I like his father as a strategist in between rounds.
    For everyone saying how crazy Angel is nobody talks about the sound advice he gives in the corner but I've heard commentators praise his counsel as a trainer during bouts.
    I just think Keef (if I can borrow that name from you guys) is too mobile (faster feet) and even bigger puncher than Danny.
    Let's say Danny manages to get a good shot in on Thurman. Thurman can just use the ring & recuperate from a body shot & Danny won't be able to catch him.
    I've heard Robert Guerrero say Danny has a good punch,he has sting to it but Thurman has that one punch K.O. Power.
    Shawn Porter also was asked who the hardest puncher he faced was and he replied Thurman as well. He said I've been hit hard by fighters before but when I was in the ring with Keef his shots would move me.
    The punch to watch out for is the straight right hand. Danny to me is a counter puncher & he will sit right there to counter fire your punches but I see it as detrimental to someone who hits as hard as Keith Thurman & also Danny doesn't get good reads on that specific punch. he sometimes has a tendency to pull straight back & feels as though he's out of range and will get tagged. Also late in fights as he gets fatigued and hurt his defense suffers.
    Keith has this uncanny ability where it seems like he's running but his feet & arms are in synch that he always maintains proper balance to throw hard shots at anytime to stun his opponents.
    He plays a mental game as well where he'll land the straight right from time to time then he'll cock his hand (show you the right) & if you're undisciplined & panic he'll mix in an equally hard uppercut to keep you guessing.
    I see Keef by decision. I think Danny could take this whooping on his feet by the end even though a couple knockdowns aren't out of the question but I believe Danny is a competent enough fighter to not get knocked down in this fight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Boxing Fanatics Legend Hawaiianpunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Playboy View Post
    Interesting you say that. I think it's Garcia who fades late in fights. Thurman is a huge puncher. He still stops and drops guys he's just not T.K.O.ing them as often as early on but isn't shopworn or anything so the ability is still there.
    While I would love Garcia to win & I like his father as a strategist in between rounds.
    For everyone saying how crazy Angel is nobody talks about the sound advice he gives in the corner but I've heard commentators praise his counsel as a trainer during bouts.
    I just think Keef (if I can borrow that name from you guys) is too mobile (faster feet) and even bigger puncher than Danny.
    Let's say Danny manages to get a good shot in on Thurman. Thurman can just use the ring & recuperate from a body shot & Danny won't be able to catch him.
    I've heard Robert Guerrero say Danny has a good punch,he has sting to it but Thurman has that one punch K.O. Power.
    Shawn Porter also was asked who the hardest puncher he faced was and he replied Thurman as well. He said I've been hit hard by fighters before but when I was in the ring with Keef his shots would move me.
    The punch to watch out for is the straight right hand. Danny to me is a counter puncher & he will sit right there to counter fire your punches but I see it as detrimental to someone who hits as hard as Keith Thurman & also Danny doesn't get good reads on that specific punch. he sometimes has a tendency to pull straight back & feels as though he's out of range and will get tagged. Also late in fights as he gets fatigued and hurt his defense suffers.
    Keith has this uncanny ability where it seems like he's running but his feet & arms are in synch that he always maintains proper balance to throw hard shots at anytime to stun his opponents.
    He plays a mental game as well where he'll land the straight right from time to time then he'll cock his hand (show you the right) & if you're undisciplined & panic he'll mix in an equally hard uppercut to keep you guessing.
    I see Keef by decision. I think Danny could take this whooping on his feet by the end even though a couple knockdowns aren't out of the question but I believe Danny is a competent enough fighter to not get knocked down in this fight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Interesting breakdown of the Garcia vs Thurman fight. Whatever the outcome it should be an exciting fight. But I have to disagree with you about Thurmans ko power...Ive said this before the guy is a heavy puncher but hes not a one punch knock out artist like a Tommy Hearns or a Tito Trinidad(not too many are)despite his boxing moniker(one time). With that said I think Thurman can out hussle Garcia whos been fighting lesser quality opponents thanks to Al Haymond and that cherry picking might end up biting him in the ass against a top ww like Thurman.

I surprised there isn't more comments on Thurman/Garcia match tonight. Its on regular tv and one of the best match ups in boxing. I still like Thurman and by tko late rounds. TIP

Boxing Fanatics Moderator

Yeah it's a really good fight where Thurman seems to have a few more advantages than Garcia does. IMO Garcia has to wear him down and get him late to win.

I'm hoping Thurman knocks out Garcia then Garcia's loudmouth dad comes at Thurman and takes one in the chops, too.

-Drama Queen

Boxing Fanatics Moderator

The fight was better on paper than in the ring. I thought Thurman gave away the last 2 rounds to make it 115-113 in a fairly dull fight. The styles didn't turn out to mesh well.

Boxing Fanatics Contender El Profesor's Avatar

The problem is that Thurman had a chance to end the fight in style and secure his moniker as "One Time," but he instead chose to back peddle and bore the crowd. Even after the fight, he seems to have given up on his "One Time" meaning, now wanting it to be "and now 'Two-Time'"?!?!

He should have gone for the KO...ideally knocking an unconscious Garcia out of the ring into the arms of Angel Garcia.
    Centraaaaahles de Abastos...de la Republica Meheeekahna

He tried to out-Oscar de la hoya Oscar de la hoya.

he almost accomplished it, too.

then in the press conference, his first statement was "Was that a great fight or what?"

ummm, no it wasn't. the funniest part was that angel Garcia, a rican of all people, was complaining about running.

-Drama Queen

I've said it before Thurman is a good puncher but he doesn't have one punch knockout power don't let his moniker fool you. He tried to jump on Garcia in rd 1 and 2 then he realized Garcia took his best punch and wasn't going anywhere and started boxing more. He's no Trinidad or Hearns when it comes to ko power. Its easy to say he should've tried to onetime Garcia but its not like he didnt try. Garcia has nothing to be ashamed of he hung in.there with a bigger and stronger puncher. I like Keith Thurman he comes to fight makes exciting fights and has a good attitude....cool dude.

speaking of Angel during the Judah vs Garcia press he made a funny ass comment about Zab Judahs corny baseball cap...."take off your mothafuckin Janet Jackson hat". It was hilarious.

El Padrino aka Boxing Fanatics Legend aka The Godfather Ringside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiianpunch View Post
    I actually listened to this whole thing. I will say early on as Zab was rising when I saw him live at fights he sat in the bleachers at the Tropicana in AC for instance with the people. not at ringside.
    I spoke to him a while at a fight and got some pics of me and him and he is real nice as a person, at least to me he was. I got less interested as he aged but still see how nice Hopkins was in settling him down. De La Hoya was speechless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringside View Post
    I actually listened to this whole thing. I will say early on as Zab was rising when I saw him live at fights he sat in the bleachers at the Tropicana in AC for instance with the people. not at ringside.
    I spoke to him a while at a fight and got some pics of me and him and he is real nice as a person, at least to me he was. I got less interested as he aged but still see how nice Hopkins was in settling him down. De La Hoya was speechless.
    For the most part boxers are very humble. Dela Hoya used to be my favorite boxer in the 90s I bought all his ppv fights except vs Pacquio and Mayweather cause I was in prison. When he lost to Trinidad i was depressed for days. But now days Im like I hate oscar. I like Zab hes a fool lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiianpunch View Post
    For the most part boxers are very humble. Dela Hoya used to be my favorite boxer in the 90s I bought all his ppv fights except vs Pacquio and Mayweather cause I was in prison. When he lost to Trinidad i was depressed for days. But now days Im like I hate oscar. I like Zab hes a fool lmao.
    Oscar was thrilling in his prime. I don't follow his promotion efforts a lot these days but he does a lot for the community and I like him. He seems to get quieter each fight he promotes unless I'm missing something. I assume he is still married to Millie .Do you know where he lives these days? You probably hear about his more local promotions out in Cali way more than I ever would in New Jersey.

he is so far up canelo's ass, its pathetic.

canelo is his last card. he has no one after him.

-Drama Queen

If you can still drink and stay up late by East Coast time and lose an hour of sleep tomorrow, then the HBO fight tonight featuring David Lemieux vs. Curtis Stevens is for you. Starts at 11 PM EST tonight. Both losers to GGG the most hype for this is that they both weighed in on target as they say yesterday. I had two diet cokes with caffeine at Applebees tonight so maybe I'll be able to stay up for it. I'll start a rumor that winner gets another crack at GGG if Alverez is kept protected for the rest of the year (Not sure if that could happen).

Lemieux with a brutal knockout of Stevens at round three. Stevens unconscious for 5 or so minutes and carried off by stretcher still not with it when he was taken out of ring. Under card had Cuban Y..Balboa (remember him from years ago?..lol) fighting after what many thought was probable retirement after a long layoff . Boring win. No idea why guys like him come back way after prime. Malagnaggi was koed in Europe weeks ago. Another guy way past it and has a good job with Showtime. Why go on?

Anybody watched last night's Lemieux vs Stevens fight?

it was a great three rounds, both pounding away...and suddenly ending with one brutal short left hook...Stevens dropped like a brick...and was snoring for a few minutes...

It was on HBO, but can't find the full fight of their telecast on YouTube. This is probably the Canadian telecast:

Knockout of the year so far...it will be hard to beat...

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Kimba View Post
    Anybody watched last night's Lemieux vs Stevens fight?

it was a great three rounds, both pounding away...and suddenly ending with one brutal short left hook...Stevens dropped like a brick...and was snoring for a few minutes...

It was on HBO, but can't find the full fight of their telecast on YouTube. This is probably the Canadian telecast:

Knockout of the year so far...it will be hard to beat...
    see posts right above you. you need a visit to the bunny ranch to clear your vision...lol

Your post is meaningless without a video, Corky...

Thanks Kimba I missed the fight but watched it on Youtube....man I agree knockout of the year. Scary he looked like he was dead. What do you guys think of Canelo Vs Lemiux if he gets past Chavez's?? Pepe Lepeuix has a punchers chance no???

Quote Originally Posted by Ringside View Post
    Oscar was thrilling in his prime. I don't follow his promotion efforts a lot these days but he does a lot for the community and I like him. He seems to get quieter each fight he promotes unless I'm missing something. I assume he is still married to Millie .Do you know where he lives these days? You probably hear about his more local promotions out in Cali way more than I ever would in New Jersey.
    I was a big fan of his and was excited about the idea of him becoming a promoter. I remember him saying he wanted to clean up the sport and treat boxers fairly(being a former prize fighter himself). Then he became a cross dressing degenerate and a crook just like the rest of them. Liked him better as a fighter. I think he's still married to Millie. She's way too good for him.